Nine accomplishments from our 9th year
Kristin Eggen, Communications Specialist
Together with community partners and support from our members, we took some notable steps toward our shared goal of local, clean, efficient energy in Winneshiek County.
Here are nine accomplishments from our ninth(!) year:
- Helped homeowners, businesses and farms invest hundreds of thousands of dollars in renewables and energy efficiency measures through our energy planning services
- Hosted Winneshiek Solar Fair connecting the public to local solar resources & contractors
- Ran a successful crowdfunding campaign to purchase a safe, reliable vehicle for our energy-efficiency superstars, the Green Iowa AmeriCorps team.
- Reduced energy consumption in over 120 homes through the Green Iowa AmeriCorps First Step Home Efficiency program. Homes served are now saving an estimated $14,000 on energy bills and over 127 metric tons of carbon annually.
- Hosted the second annual Electric Vehicle Fest(EV)al at Winneshiek Fairgrounds
- Provided 90+ educational programs to school children and adults throughout the region
- Defeated – together with state clean energy partners – the MidAmerican legislative attack on net metering … but they will be back!
- Submitted extensive testimony in the proposed Alliant Energy Rate case, opposing the growing energy cost burden, and supporting locally-owned energy efficiency and solar
- Led formation of the Clean Energy Districts of Iowa: the association for the growing network of Energy Districts (there are now 8!)
Huge thanks to our members who support this work. Together, we continue to catalyze the clean, local energy movement here in Northeast Iowa. Not a member yet? Join us as a member at any level!