Winneshiek Energy District (WED) is a northeast Iowa public benefit corporation located in Decorah, Iowa. We lead, implement, and accelerate the locally-owned clean energy transition, through technical energy planning, market transformation, community engagement, and policy advocacy. We have a small staff that includes a Director and a Lead Energy Planner (technical) in addition to this listed position, and we host a team of 4-5 Green Iowa AmeriCorps members.
As the founder of the Energy District movement, we have led the development of the Clean Energy Districts of Iowa organization, and partner closely with our Energy District and Clean Energy colleagues throughout Iowa and beyond. This position is an essential part of the grassroots local clean energy movement. Join our team today!
Community Project Manager – West Union, Iowa
WED is looking for and Community Project Manager to join our team, beginning January 2020. This is a grant-funded, part-time position running for 12 to 14 months and will require significant time spent in the community of West Union.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Position includes partially employer-paid health plan; generous vacation, holiday, flex, and parental leave; and retirement plan contributions. We are a dynamic and friendly team dedicated to making the world a better place.
- Coordinate communication between technical engineers and the public
- Host community meetings and/or focus groups
- Help create and host a Community Task Force – a focus group of businesses and community leaders
- Develop and test key project narratives. Plan a 6-month information and education Campaign including project branding, print and web outreach, and personal interviews.
- Create outreach content, both print and web Test and develop branding for the project.
- Create web presence including the socio-cultural history of the project to date, a summary of technical and economic status/potential, case studies
- Complete personal interviews to track project successes and challenges
- Project team, task force update to City Admin, Council
- Coordinate a local contractor workshop
- Travel will be required. Position requires at least weekly in-person presence in West Union and occasional in-person meeting at Energy District offices in Decorah
A SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE IS:
- Experienced in project or campaign management.
- A strong writer and communicator with the ability to synthesize and convey complex ideas and policies in a clear and compelling way (grant-writing a plus).
- A people person, skilled at interpersonal communication, group dynamics, volunteer management, and supervision.
- A creative thinker, a collaborative team member, and an independent worker.
- A skilled time manager with the ability to manage both long- and short-term deadlines
- Passionate about locally-led, locally-owned clean energy transition in rural Iowa.
- At least five years of experience in communications, community engagement, supervision, and/or membership/development.
- A bachelor’s degree or higher.
- Familiarity with the city of West Union or community engagement work in rural areas.
- Understanding and engagement with the broader conversation of the clean energy transition underway today.
WED is an equal opportunity employer, and deeply committed to an inclusive society and workplace. We encourage all seriously interested people to apply.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please send a cover letter addressed to Andy Johnson, résumé, and two communications samples reflecting your original work to email@example.com. The samples should be no longer than 1,000 words each (excerpts of longer pieces are welcome). Please submit all of these materials as a single PDF. The subject line of the email should say “Application for Community Project Manager. We are reviewing applications on an ongoing basis.