Executive Director, Decorah, Iowa
- Our offices are in beautiful downtown Decorah, Iowa
- We are a dynamic and friendly team dedicated to leading, implementing, and accelerating the locally-owned clean energy transition in Winneshiek County.
- $55,000 – $60,000 FTE Salary
- Additional compensation includes health insurance benefits, paid vacation and holidays, parental leave, and retirement plan contributions.
Winneshiek Energy District (WED) is a northeast Iowa 501(c)(3) public benefit corporation located in Decorah, Iowa. We lead, implement, and accelerate the locally owned clean energy transition, through technical energy planning, community engagement, and policy advocacy. For more detailed information, see A Geography of Change. As the founder of the Energy District movement, we have led the development of the Clean Energy Districts of Iowa and partner closely with our clean energy colleagues throughout Iowa and the Midwest.
WED is looking for an experienced leader and passionate clean energy advocate to join our team. Compensation is commensurate with experience. Applications will be reviewed until the position is filled.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
Board Relations and Support
- Support operations and administration of WED’s Board of Directors
- Develop workable mechanisms for official Board-related communications
- Inform Board members regarding ongoing developments in the clean energy transition
- Serve as the interface between Board and staff
- Provide on-boarding of new Board members and ongoing Board development
Strategic Program, Product, and Service Delivery
- Lead strategic planning in collaboration with the Board
- Design, promote, and deliver quality programs, products, and services to achieve WED’s Organizational Ends
Financial, Tax, Risk, and Facilities Management
- Recommend annual budget for Board approval and manage organization’s resources within those budget constraints
- Ensure compliance with tax laws, other relevant laws, and WED’s Bylaws
- Manage risks associated with personnel and property assets
Human Resource Management
- Effectively manage the human resources of the organization according to authorized personnel policies and procedures that fully conform to current laws and regulations, while creating a flexible and family-friendly work environment
- Supervise Lead Energy Planner, future additional staff, and volunteers
Community and Public Relations
- Lead WED communications and community engagement efforts
- Ensure that WED’s communications are professional, clear, honest, respectful, and effective in promoting WED’s mission, programs, products, and services to relevant stakeholders
- Coordinate WED’s annual membership drive
- Lead grant proposal writing and development, including: identifying resource requirements; researching funding sources (multi-year and one-time grants); establishing strategies to approach funders; submitting proposals; administering grants received; managing fundraising records, grant reporting, and further related tax documentation
- Proven experience in nonprofit leadership, communications, community engagement, grant writing, and membership/development
- Understanding of the clean energy transition, experience engaging with diverse stakeholders, and strong communication skills
- A bachelor’s degree or higher
- Employment is contingent upon satisfactory results from a background check and verification of professional credentials.
WED is an equal opportunity employer and is deeply committed to an inclusive society and workplace. We want to hear from you even if you don’t feel you’re a perfect match for the job description!
How to Apply
Please submit a detailed cover letter that explains why you are interested in this leadership position and how your skills and experience match the Essential Duties and Responsibilities described above. Include a résumé and a list of professional references with contact information. Please submit all of these materials as a single PDF to Kristine Kopperud (WED board member) at kristine[at]energydistrict.org. The email’s subject line should read: “Application for Executive Director.” Applications will be reviewed as received.