Early in 2019, Alliant Energy filed a rate request with the Utilities Board to raise base rates 24.45% for residential customers, 18.36% for general service customers, and 25.29% for large general service customers.
Winneshiek Energy District (WED) believes the proposed rate increase is unreasonable, unjust, and discriminatory. We are working with local and state partners to ask the Iowa Utilities Board to do everything in their power to reject the wealth-extraction model Alliant is so aggressively pursuing, promote local clean energy prosperity through prioritizing energy efficiency and customer-owned renewable energy, and maximize Iowa’s climate stewardship and clean energy transition in the process. This page is a compilation of resources related to the rate case.
The rate case is heard by the Iowa Utilities Board (IUB), and all official filings can be found in the IUB’s online filing system under IUB docket RPU-2019-0001. Click on “filings” and “show all results”. You can sort the filing list by date, submitting party, or other heading in the blue bar.
Submit your own comment through the IUB’s Open Docket Comments Form (choose the Alliant docket RPU-2019-0001 from the list).
WED has coordinated with four local entities to intervene and submit testimony in this docket. Testimony is submitted under the “Decorah Area Group”, which consists of the City of Decorah, Luther College, Winneshiek Medical Center, Aase Haugen Senior Services, and WED. All DAG testimony can be accessed through the IUB link above, sorting by “submitting party” and scrolling to “Decorah Area Group”, or through the direct links below.
- Alliant Rate Increase … and What You Can Do About It: WED News April 22, 2019
- DecorahNews.com story of the Decorah City Council Resolution opposing the rate increase, April 22, 2019
- Citizens ask IUB to deny Alliant Rate Increase: Decorah Newspapers, May 9, 2019
- Localism Versus Wealth Extraction: WED News June 25, 2019
Decorah Area Group Testimony (each filing contains multiple documents – click “view” next to the document to open it in pdf format)
- Electric Rates Matter To Every Community; WED News post summarizing the testimony submitted in the filings linked below
- DAG direct testimony 8-1-19, filing part 1 of 3 (witnesses Dave Berg and Jim Martin-Schramm)
- DAG direct testimony 8-1-19, filing part 2 of 3 (witnesses Steve Holland, Andy Johnson, Warren McKenna, David Osterberg
- DAG direct testimony 8-1-19, filing part 3 of 3 (cover letter, request for confidential treatment)
- DAG rebuttal testimony 8-15-19 (witnesses Martin-Schramm and Johnson)
- The Cost of Things; Cedar Rapids Gazette, July 14, 2019
- EDITORIAL: Time for the IUB to say no; Ottumwa Courier, August 6, 2019
- ELPC and IEC Call for Retirement of Expensive Coal Plants, Rejection of Blank Check for Grid Investments in Alliant Rate Case; Energy News, August 2, 2019
- Mason City Council opposes Alliant Energy rate increase; Mason City Globe Gazette, May 8, 2019
- Two Decades of Electric Rate Increases in Iowa; Globe Gazette, July 14, 2019