The Home Efficiency Program (or Direct Install), is one of our most successful programs to date. Through this low-cost, high-return program, the average resident of Winneshiek County saves roughly $100 annually on their utility bills (though this varies greatly depending on characteristics of your home).
The program is available to both tenants and homeowners in Winneshiek, Clayton, Allamakee, Howard, Fayette, and Chickasaw Counties
- Combustion Safety Tests
Test to ensure that carbon monoxide is not back-drafting into your home from your water-heater, stove, furnace, fireplace, or any other appliance that is powered by combustion. Check gas-pipes and related appliances for gas-leaks prior to other work.
- Blower Door Test
Blower door tests quantify the amount of air leaking through any gaps, cracks, or openings in a home’s envelope. Air leakage causes home heating and cooling systems to work harder than needed, resulting in more energy consumption and higher heating and cooling bills. When our blower door test shows potential to reduce the amount of air infiltration into the home and still maintain a good level of air quality, we’ll discuss the option of air sealing.
- Thermal Imaging
While running the blower door, the team uses an infrared camera to pinpoint areas of heat loss in the home that could be tightened through air-sealing or more major construction project
Direct Installation of Efficiency Upgrades
- Energy-Efficient Light Bulb Installation
An average household dedicates 11% of its energy budget to lighting! We will swap out all of your light bulbs with LED (Light Emitting Diode) lights. LEDs are cost-effective, maintain high light-quality and visual appeal, use a fraction of the energy as traditional incandescent bulbs, and can last up to 21 years!
- Efficient Aerators and Shower Heads
Install low-flow aerators in kitchen and bathroom sinks and stationary low-flow shower heads. Our program has helped the average homeowner reduce their annual water usage by over 4,900 gallons and all without compromising the comfort of anyone’s shower. Less water used can also affect the heating bill because your water heater will use less energy to heat the needed water.
- Insulate Hot Water Pipes
Insulating the first 6 feet of the pipes connected to the water heater reduces heat loss and increases efficiency.
- Install Programmable Thermostat
Programmable thermostats are a convenient, effective way to manage when and how much your home is being heated.
- Replace Furnace Filter
If your filter is dirty, it could sap your efficiency by as much as 20%! An easy swap can save you money.
Air Sealing (if applicable)
- If the blower door test shows that your home has potential to decrease air infiltration without threatening the air quality, the Green Iowa team will offer to perform air sealing on your homes exterior home envelope (where air gets in from outside). Problem areas can include windows, floorboards, electrical outlets, rim joists, attic accesses, and doors. We use clear caulk, foam, weather stripping, and other simple measures to make your home as energy efficient as possible. Homes with serious insulation problems are referred to a local contractor.
- For your safety, Green Iowa can only perform Air sealing on homes in which the blower door test reports .33 Air Changes per hour or more.
Cost of Service
- The costs of air sealing and direct install supplies
These supplies are inexpensive thanks to bulk purchasing. The typical cost per household is $40-$200, depending on whether air-sealing is included, how much air sealing is needed, and the number of light fixtures in a home.
- Free and low cost assessments are available to:Low-to-Moderate Income households *, Veterans, Elderly, and Disabled persons. Thanks to the Regional Housing Trust Fund, Oneota Tags Carbon Offset program, and other local partners, these populations receive free supplies for efficiency upgrades and air-sealing (Suppliesulbs, shower heads, caulk, etc.).
- *If your pre-tax income is less than 80% of the area median income, you qualify as Low to Moderate income and receive free materials. See the chart below to determine whether you qualify.
80% of Median Income 2018 Household Size 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Income $50,450 $50,450 $67,250 $67,250 $67,250 $67,250 $67,300 $71,650
- Non-Winneshiek residents: A $25.00 trip fee will be charged regardless of income-level or other eligibility. However, if you find others in the neighborhood who would like a direct install on the same day, you can split the trip charge.
Call (563) 382-4207 ext. 2 to schedule an assessment or visit the online signup form
Thank You to Our Local Partners
The Regional Housing Trust Fund sponsors FREE Green Iowa Home Energy Assessments for low-moderate income, single-family homes in Allamakee, Clayton, Howard, and Winneshiek counties in northeast Iowa.