Join our team: Seeking Communications and Engagement Specialist
Do you care about local, clean energy for all? Are you a great communicator and community-builder? Join our team!
The Winneshiek Energy District is looking for an experienced, part-time Communications and Community Engagement professional to join our team in Decorah, Iowa, beginning January 2020. Winneshiek Energy District (WED) is a northeast Iowa public benefit corporation located in Decorah, Iowa. You can read all about us on this nifty website – but what is it like to work here?
We have a small staff that includes a Director and a Lead Energy Planner (technical) in addition to this listed position, and we host a team of 4-5 Green Iowa AmeriCorps members. As the founder of the Energy District movement, we have led the development of the Clean Energy Districts of Iowa organization, and partner closely with our Energy District and Clean Energy colleagues throughout Iowa and beyond. This position is an essential part of the grassroots local clean energy movement.
This position is part-time (half to three-quarters, with potential for full time) and offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience. Position includes partially employer-paid health plan; generous vacation, holiday, flex, and parental leave; and retirement plan contributions. We are a dynamic and friendly team dedicated to making northeast Iowa an even better place to live through community-led clean energy solutions.
- Function as Site Supervisor for WED’s Green Iowa Americorps team, providing guidance to members and liaising with UNI CEEE program manager (~30% of time)
- Coordinate WED’s annual membership drive (planning 3rd quarter, implementation 4th quarter) and related development efforts (potentially including grant-writing) (25%)
- Lead WED communications and community engagement efforts, including the web site, social media, the monthly newsletter, media liaising, and general marketing (25%)
- Manage WED events, including monthly energy breakfasts, the annual solar and EV fairs, and additional event planning through the year (15%)
- Together with the staff and board, develop an organizational strategic communications plan including general marketing and branding, earned media, social media, and more (5%)
- Follow the evolution of the energy world, investigate and implement opportunities for community engagement, support other WED projects and personnel as necessary
- Limited travel may be required
A SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE IS
- A strong writer and communicator with the ability to synthesize and convey complex ideas and policies in a clear and compelling way (grant-writing a plus).
- A people person, skilled at interpersonal communication, group dynamics, volunteer management, and supervision.
- A creative thinker, a collaborative team member, and an independent worker.
- Passionate about WED’s mission of locally-led, locally-owned clean energy transition.
- A skilled time manager with the ability to manage both long- and short-term deadlines, and the capacity to change focus based on organizational needs.
- At least five years of experience in communications, community engagement, supervision, and/or membership/development.
- A bachelor’s degree or higher.
- Understanding and engagement with community development, change-making local institutions, and the broader technological, economic, social and political spheres of the clean energy transition underway today.
WED is an equal opportunity employer, and deeply committed to an inclusive society and workplace. We encourage all seriously interested people to apply.
How to Apply:
Please send a cover letter addressed to Andy Johnson, résumé, and two communications samples reflecting your original work to email@example.com. The samples should be no longer than 1,000 words each (excerpts of longer pieces are welcome). Please submit all of these materials as a single PDF. The subject line of the email should say “Application for Communications/Engagement Specialist.” We will begin reviewing applications on December 16th, with a goal of a January 2020 start.
Questions about the position? Email or call Kristin (firstname.lastname@example.org, 563-382-4207 ext. 2) to talk more.
View/Download PDF: Communications position announcement Nov2019